Finding a job during the COVID-19 pandemic is a challenge. Finding a permanent position can be even harder. The good news is there are plenty of advantages that come with a temp-to-hire job.
1. The Chance to Prove Your Value
Your temporary phase is an excellent opportunity to showcase the skills and attitude that would make you a great long-term fit.
2. Putting Some Meat on Your Resume
It is generally better to stay working, even in a contracted position, than to not work at all. Limiting gaps in your resume can create more of an impression of reliability.
3. Finding Out if a Company is a Good Fit For You
Temporary work doesn’t just give an employer a trial period to see if you’re a candidate for full-time work. It also allows you the chance to see if the employer is the right fit for you. Contract-to-hire positions can give you a taste of a company’s culture and what career paths might be available there.
4. A Higher Wage
Since you are trading off full-time employment and company benefits by pursuing a contract-to-hire position, you may be able to ask for a higher hourly rate.
Let’s say you have a temp-to-hire opportunity. How do you know if it’s right for you?
- Find out what the length of the contract will be. Usually, recruiters will promote positions as having either a defined contract period or as a long-term contract with the potential of full-time employment. If they can’t commit to a specific contract length, you need to decide if you’re willing to work indefinitely before getting a full-time job offer.
- Find out what you can do to improve the chances of being hired directly. If you deliver on the points that matter most to the company, you’re likely to be seen as vital to the company’s continued success – and the type of valuable contributor worth locking in.
- Remember, sometimes whether a position becomes full-time is out of your hands. Budget concerns and changing priorities can make it hard for a company to commit to a direct hire. At that point, it’s up to you to decide how long you want to pursue the opportunity.
Contact Us Today
TradeSTAR works with top employers with several offices across Texas for your convenience. If you’re on the hunt for a great opportunity, contact our team today or browse our online job search portal.