An apprenticeship is a great way to train for a career while earning money. These full-time positions help you learn with a combination of on-the-job experience and classroom instruction. If you enjoy hands-on learning, an apprenticeship can help you take a big step in your career as an electrician.
How Apprenticeship Programs Work
Apprentices typically work 2,000 hours per year of their program, and they include a minimum of 144 hours of classroom work, according to the Department of Labor. That calculates to about 43 hours a week, 50 weeks a year.
Specific apprenticeship completion requirements vary by program. Programs may be time-based (requiring a certain number of hours in experience and study), competency-based (requiring demonstration that the apprentice has mastered required skills), or some combination of both.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Apprenticeships
In deciding whether being an apprentice is right for you, you should consider both the positives and negatives of apprenticeships. Here’s the upside.
- They allow you to earn money instead of taking on student debt.
- They offer hands-on workplace experience plus classroom learning. The classroom portion may be online or at a local college or trade school, and it may count for college credit.
- They can lead to careers that offer decent pay and room for advancement.
And here are some potential drawbacks.
- You may encounter stiff competition for a relatively small number of available apprenticeships.
- You may go through periods of unemployment.
How to Get an Apprenticeship
- You can start by learning about the two types of electrical apprenticeships in Texas: Independent Electrical Contractors and Electrical Training Alliance.
- Look for contractors in your local area.
Independent Electrical Contractors
- Central Texas
- El Paso
- Fort Worth/Tarrant County
- San Antonio
- Texas Gulf Coast
Electrical Training Alliance
Call Us Today
If you don’t see your area listed above, or if you want to do a more specific search, visit TradeSTAR, a professional services company specifically aimed at helping businesses and potential employees in the low voltage and electrical industries find each other. TradeSTAR works with top employers with several offices across Texas for your convenience. If you’re on the hunt for a technician opportunity, contact our team today or browse our online job search portal.